Time: 1:20 m (25 m prep, 45 m cook)
(Ingredients and measurements subject to availability)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil*
- 1 cup large onion, diced (1 medium)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground hamburger
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1, 4 oz. can green chilis
- 2/3 cup quick cook barley
- 2, 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1, 14 oz can tomato puree
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups warm water* (can use milk but not supplied)
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 Tablespoon sugar (can use honey but not supplied
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 teaspoons salt*
- 6-7 cups flour
Salt and Pepper
Mixing Bowl or mixing machine
- In a large soup pot over medium heat combine olive oil, onion, and garlic. Cook until onion is slightly transparent.
- Add ground hamburger and cook until no longer pink. Turn off heat and remove extra fat from the meat (I do this by pushing everything to the side of the pot and tilting it until the juices run on the other side, then scoop it out with a measuring cup or spoon). Then add all seasonings (chili powder, cumin, dried oregano) and stir until well combined.
- On medium heat, add remaining ingredients (bell pepper, green chilies, barley, black beans, chicken broth, tomato puree, and cilantro). Simmer (cooking just below the boiling temperature) for 20 minutes or longer, until the barley and bell pepper pieces are cooked. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with optional toppings. Enjoy!
- In a large mixing bowl (if mixing by hand) or in your electric mixer bowl (if mixing with machine), let warm milk, yeast, and sugar/honey proof for 5-10 minutes until bubbly. Then add butter and egg yolk and mix. Sift salt and flour together and add to milk mixture. Mix together by hand or in electric mixer with bread dough hook until very stiff and elastic-like.
- Lift up the dough ball and oil all sides of the bowl. Then cover with a pizza stone or other baking sheet (do not cover with towel or plastic wrap-this either dries it out or keeps it too wet). Let raise for 1-12 hours.
- Punch down and cut dough into two halves. With one half, make two long pieces and braid/crisscross the two dough pieces. Place on a baking stone and brush with the remaining egg white mixed with 1/4 cup of water. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Let raise for about 20 minutes.
- Place in hot oven for 40-45 minutes and bake until crust is a golden brown. Enjoy!