The Defined Dish
Click for original post
Time: 50 m (20 m prep, 30 m cook)
(Ingredients and measurements subject to availability)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. Hot Sausage
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper*, to taste
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can Diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 lb package of cheese
- 1 cup of salsa
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- lime juice
- fresh chopped tomatoes
- fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 large bag of tortilla chips
Salt and pepper
Crock pot or slow cooker
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef, sausage, onion and garlic and cook, breaking up the meat with the back of the spoon, until it is browned and no longer pink, about 8 minutes. While this is browning, be sure to season your meat with salt and pepper! Nobody wants to bite into unseasoned meat!
- Drain off fat from the meat and place in a crockpot.
- Now, add the cream of mushroom soup, the rotel, the shredded cheese, the salsa. Cut the velveeta into 1 inch cubes and toss that in there too.
- Stir it all up, cover and cook. NOW I need to give you guys a little lesson on the cooking of this queso because it can burn so darn easily-- I like to set my crockpot to "warm" and just let it cook until the cheese is melted but it takes a little longer (like 1 hour). You can set it to its lowest "low" setting and it should be ready in closer to 30 minutes...but either way keep an eye on your party queso! Once she burns she tastes awful. Here is my rule of thumb once its ready and everyone is enjoying it and it is just sitting there to serve if it starts to bubble, I turn off the heat, then when it starts to look like its getting too cold and starting to solidify, I turn it back on warm... and I just keep doing that until the party is over. Off and "warm", never let it bubble. Stir often and you'll be golden!!
- Once its all melted and delicious, add some fresh cilantro, freshly diced tomatoes and lime juice to jazz it up!