The Defined Dish
Click here for original post
Time: 40 m (20 m prep, 20 m cook)
(Ingredients and measurements subject to availability)
- 2 bunches of green kale
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg (must be room temp!)
- 1 cup of safflower oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt* (ideally kosher)
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6-8 flat anchovy filets in olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp. olive oil*
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. worchestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic powder, or to taste
- kosher salt*, to taste
- black pepper*, to taste
Salt and pepper
Oven safe skillet (preferably cast iron)
Food processor or blender
- In a bowl or ziplock bag, combine all of the "for the chicken" ingredients together and toss so that the chicken is coated evenly. Set aside and allow to marinade for 15-30 minutes, at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Meanwhile, let’s make the caesar dressing: If your egg is chilled, place it in a cup of hot or very warm water for 3-5 minutes to bring it to room temp. *YOUR EGG MUST BE AT ROOM TEMP OR YOUR DRESSING WILL NOT EMULSIFY*
- Place room temp egg, the kosher salt, and 1/4 cup of safflower oil in a food processor or blender, blend until well combined.
- Now, for the main event...turn your food processor or blender on and keep that blending as you VERY SLOWLY pour in the remaining 3/4 cup of safflower oil in. When I say slowly pour, just keep a steady flow going as slow as you can possibly go. When you have completed this process (it should take about 3 minutes total) You will have a mayo-like consistency.
- Now, toss the anchovies, garlic, lemon juice, dijon mustard, and red wine vinegar in with the mayo. Blend until smooth. Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste. You can even add more anchovies or red wine vinegar if you’d like to! You make it yours! Set the dressing aside while you prepare your salad.
- Rise and pat dry the kale. Remove kale from the stem then, chop up the kale so that it is diced pretty small. Place the chopped kale in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or an oven safe skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, place chicken in skillet and sear on both sides so that they are lightly browned on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Place the skillet into the preheated oven and let the chicken continue to cook all the way through in the oven, depending on the thickness of the chicken it should take between 10-15 minutes.
- While your chicken is cooking, pour desired amount of the Caesar Salad dressing over the chopped kale, toss to coat evenly and set aside to let the kale marinade in the dressing--this allows the kale to soften up a bit so it doesn't have too much of a bite to it.
- Remove chicken from the oven and using tongs, transfer onto a cutting board. Let rest on the cutting board for about 5 minutes to allow juices to settle back into the chicken.