the White Radish
Click For Original Post
Time: 1 hour 20 min (1 hour 10 m prep, 10 m cook)
(Ingredients and measurements subject to availability)
- 1 pound Russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 3 oz Butter cubed
- 1 oz Cream, Half and Half or Buttermilk
- 1 cup dried lentils (soak in water for at least 30 min)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 red bell pepper diced and seeds removed
- 1 yellow or white onion diced
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 3 Tbsp fresh chopped mint
- 3 Tbsp fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3 Tbsp fresh chopped dill
Salt and pepper
Immersion Blender or Blender
Large Pot or Dutch Oven
- Soak Lentils in water while preparing mashed potatoes.
- Rinse potatoes under cold running water agitating in a pan and draining until water runs clear and is not cloudy. This helps decrease any extra starch which will make them gummy.
- Cover potatoes with cold water in a pot and bring to a simmer. Cook until tender with a fork, usually about 10 minutes.
- Have butter chopped up into cubes and cream at room temp. Drain potatoes. Using a potato ricer push potatoes through ricer and place back in warm pot. Add butter and cream to potatoes and stir just until incorporated. Add Salt and White Pepper if you have it to taste. Set aside.
- While lentils are cooking, add 1/4 tsp of baking soda and 1 Tbsp water to pound of lamb or beef and blend with your hand and let sit in a separate bowl. Preheat broiler or oven to High.
- After soaking lentil, place in pot with 2 cups of water or chicken broth, 1 bay leaf and half of an onion and 1 tsp of olive oil. Bring to a boil then, simmer lentils for 15-20 minutes or until tender but not falling apart.
- Remove lentils from stovetop to stop cooking and set aside.
- Using a large saute pan heat 1 Tbsp olive oil and then saute chopped onions, carrots for five minutes or until translucent. Make sure to salt vegetables with a pinch of kosher salt as you saute. Next add garlic and saute for about 30 sec to 1 minute until smell is released but don't burn the garlic. Add lamb/beef and break up lamb/beef into small pieces in the pan. While cooking add cumin and coriander. Cook lamb/beef until just slightly pink. Add lentils to mixture and if any extra liquid from lentils add up to 2 Tbsp but no more. Remove from heat and fold in fresh herbs of mint, dill and parsley.
- Place warm lamb/beef and lentil dish on the bottom of a 8x10 pan and spread over the entire pan covering the bottom of the pan. While still hot place mashed potatoes over the lentil/lamb filling and spread using a flat spatula until lamb/beef filling is covered evenly and smoothly.
- Add an X to the top of the middle of the potatoes allowing the lamb/beef filling to heat if using cold mashed potatoes. Cook in center of oven under the broiler until mashed potatoes are lightly browned and lamb/beef filling is warm. 8-10 minutes.