the White Radish
Click for Original Post
Time: 1 hour (30 m prep, 30 min cook)
(Ingredients and measurements subject to availability)
- 3 Tablespoon Olive Oil*
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon crushes red pepper
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 7 Tablespoons pine nuts
- 2/3 oz flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 8 oz feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Eggs: 3-4 large
- 4 Tablespoons Sour cream
- Salt and Pepper*
Salt and pepper
Cast Iron Skillet
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Prebake crust for 10 minutes weighed down with dried beans. Remove from oven and rest until ready to fill with Lamb mixture. Empty beans before filling crust.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan. Mix together the cumin, paprika, Aleppo pepper and ground cinnamon and half of this spice mix to the pan, along with the onions. Cook over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes, stirring often before adding the lamb, pine nuts, parsley, tomato paste, 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, and some black pepper. Continue to cook and stir for another 8 minutes, until the meat is cooked.
- Combine the eggs, cream, salt and pepper. I use a hand held blender, but you can also whisk by hand. After blending together it should be a light yellow in consistency, like the color of eggnog. You should not see any dark yolk or white cream on the sides. If it is too light in color, you may need to add the 4th egg. If it is too yellow in color, you may need to add a little more cream.
- Whisk in one Tablespoon of feta cheese to blended eggs and cream. Set aside the rest of the cheese.
- Add lamb mixture to the empty pre-baked crust for 10 minutes.