Food Life Love
Click for original post
Time: 50 m (25 m prep, 25 m cook)
(Ingredients and measurements subject to availability)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c canned tomato sauce
- 1/3 c chicken broth
- 2 c shredded chicken
- ¼ c cilantro, chopped, plus more for topping
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 pkg. whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 can red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded Mexican Cheese blend
- Light sour cream for topping
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees.
- Saute the onions in 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat for 8-10 minutes. When they are slightly tender, add in the minced garlic. Cook for another 2 minutes. Next, add in the tomato sauce, chicken broth, shredded chicken, and all the spices. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken mixture for another 5-8 minutes to marry all the flavors. Taste the filling to make sure it is well seasoned before moving on.
- Pour about 1/2 the enchilada sauce on a plate. Take a tortilla and soak it on both sides in the plate then fill it with about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture. Roll the filled tortilla into an enchilada.
- Pour some of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of the baking dish to keep the tortillas from sticking. Place the rolled enchilada in the baking dish and continue to roll them until the dish is full.
- Top the enchiladas with the rest of the sauce- there should be about 1 1/2 to 2 cups left. Top the sauce with all of the shredded cheese. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20-28 minutes. The cheese will be melted and the sauce will be bubbling when it is down.
- Before serving, I like to dot the top with light sour cream and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Enjoy!