Click for Original Post
Time: 50 minutes (25 m prep, 25 m cook)
(Ingredients and measurements subject to availability)
- 16 oz box of cavatappi noodles (macaroni if unavailable)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon truffle oil
- 5 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup Italian Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper* to taste
Salt & pepper
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Boil noodles in salted water until al dente. Do not overcook, they will finish cooking in the oven!
- Drain, do not rinse, and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven, add the butter, melt, then add onions and saute on medium heat for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add in the flour, stir to combine with the butter mixture. Cook for 1 minute to get rid of any raw flour taste. Slowly add your milk, whisking to combine with the flour mixture as you add. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and let cook 5 minutes until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Turn off the heat, add 2 tbs of the truffle oil, and the cheese. Stir to combine everything until the cheese is melted. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and additional 2 tbs of truffle oil.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture evenly on top of the pasta. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. If you want a more golden top, pop under the broiler for 5 minutes after cooking.